Kolkata: Two Navy warships, which were scheduled to be berthed at Khidderpore dock in Kolkata till 7 November for public visits, were today withdrawn to the sea for undisclosed 'operational reasons,' a defence ministry official said.
The recall of warships INS Khukri and INS Sumitra came in the backdrop of an alert by Central intelligence agencies to the Kolkata Police about the possibility of a terror attack in the city, especially in the port area.
Asked whether the recall of ships is due to the terror alert by Central intelligence agencies, Defence CPRO Group Captain TK Singha said, "No, it has nothing to do with any terror alert. The recall of ships is strictly due to operational reasons."
A defence press statement issued here said "the alacrity by which Indian warships are ready for operation at a short notice was demonstrated by the quick turnaround of the two visiting warships - INS Khukri and INS Sumitra - which had just berthed at Kidderpore yesterday, amply showcasing Indian Navy's prompt readiness as the two warships are set to sail out within hours of a recall to the sea for undisclosed 'operational reasons' on orders by Eastern Naval Command HQ, today".
According to the statement, the warships were scheduled to berth in Kolkata till Friday, enabling the public visit the ships on Wednesday and Thursday.
Earlier in the day, a senior Kolkata Police official said, "We have received inputs from Central intelligence agencies that there might be a terror attack in Kolkata, especially in the port area. We have beefed up security in the port area and have put the entire city under security blanket."