Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Pakistan violates ceasefire again, fires at 40 BSF posts

JAMMU: A day after the ceasefire violations that killed nine civilians and injured 25, Pakistan continued fire at as many as 40 Border Security Force (BSF) posts late on Monday, Hindustan Times reports.

According to the report, a heavy round of firing was aimed at BSF posts in Kanachak, Pargwal, Arnia and RS Pura sector at around 9pm.

A defence spokesperson was quoted by HT as saying the BSF troops retaliated to the fresh ceasefire violation from across the border in a befitting manner.

Though no BSF personnel were injured, three civilians in Arnia received minor injuries.

Nine civilians were killed and at least 25 wounded on Monday in fighting along a stretch of the disputed border between India and Pakistan in the Kashmir region, the heaviest toll since India called off a round of peace talks last month.

Pakistani forces shelled the village of Arnia about three km (two miles) from the border in the early hours of Monday, killing five and wounding at least two dozen civilians, according to Rakesh Kumar, an inspector general of the Indian border security forces.

India's Border Security Forces (BSF) killed four Pakistani civilians, including two children and a woman.

The attacks coincided with the Eid al-Adha festival, celebrated by Muslims in both countries.

Another Indian officer, Lieutenant-Colonel Brijesh Panday, said the army later shot dead three Pakistani-based militants trying to cross into India further along the heavily militarized LoC. Two militants escaped back to Pakistan, he said.

The latest round of mortar and gunfire began on Friday, when Pakistan's army said it responded to "unprovoked firing" from the Indian side.

Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said the army would retaliate to the latest violence.

"Let everybody be assured that our armed forces, our paramilitary forces are fully ready and they are responding to each of these provocations," Jaitley said.

Pakistan's army separately attacked 10 Indian army posts along the LoC, according to Indian army officials in Kashmir. Gunfire continued between the two sides in those areas on Monday, they said. (Agencies)